Arsenal, Fenerbahce, Wenger, Champions League,

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was over the moon following his clubs 3-0 win over Fenerbahce in Istanbul last night following their first leg Champions league qualifying match.

Arsenal arrived in Istanbul following the shock 3-1 loss at home to Aston Villa in the season opener with Wenger under pressure from the fans for still not having signed any new players.

“We had a proactive attitude from the first minute on, and that was certainly was very important”

“We controlled the match and after the disappointment of the weekend we’re in a strong position now. It was vital to get off on the right foot and that’s what we did.

“We could have been a little bit shaky after what happened on Saturday. So for us it was very important to start on the front foot. That was vital tonight for us and we did it well.”

The first half was an uneventful affair with the hosts looking very much like their 30-year average age very slow with the ball, and short on ideas, and while Arsenal dominated they could just not find the back of the net.

They must have all received a bollocking by Wenger at half time, as the gunners came out knowing that they had a job to do, and proceeded to get it done.

Despite drawing a blank in the opening half in Istanbul, Arsenal came out firing after the interval and dominated their lacklustre hosts.

The Frenchman added: “This team has shown a lot of mental strength. I told you on Tuesday that you had forgotten that this team has lost only one game since March under very, very special circumstance.

“Of course, the environment we faced was difficult but the only way to do it is to go out there and play football like you want to play. I believe we played in a very, very heated atmosphere against a good team, but we had a proactive attitude from the first minute on, and that was certainly was very important.

“We did not come in shaking, but came in resolute and determined and with a desire to take the game to them – and overall we were in control.”

The victory though came at a price with defender Laurent Koscielny having to leave the match with a cut head after a high boot from Pierre Webo which left the defender needing treatment.

Unhappily Wenger said: “Laurent Koscielny has opened very deeply the skull and we had to take him to hospital.

“I was not happy with the kick because I feel always that you can ease a bit off. Only the player in the end will know what he did. We are concerned because we had to send him to hospital to see if he has not broken a bone.”