Everton manager Roberto Martinez says that he can guarantee that last summer’s Manchester United target Leighton Baines will not be leaving Goodison Park in January.
There has been speculation that Everton’s former boss David Moyes would make another bid for the England international during the winter transfer window.
Martinez when speaking to Sky Sports said that the 29-year-old Baines is vital to Everton’s second half of the season, and that he would not be leaving the club.
“In football you don’t work long term, you go window to window and I can guarantee that Leighton will be here at the end of the season,” said Martinez. “That is 100 per cent.
“That is how you work from window to window – to have a stronger squad than previously.
“Leighton is vital for us in the second half of the season. Bryan Oviedo has been terrific, but we need Leighton and Bryan fit for us, if we are going to fight for our football dream.”
One player that could be on his way out though is Nikica Jelavic with Martinez telling evertontv that there has been a couple of enquiries about the Croatian international.
“We’ve had a couple of enquiries from two different clubs for one of our players.
“Nikica Jelavic is someone who we have made it very clear to – we’ve had a conversation and he has the World Cup around the corner.
“He needs to be playing minutes and we understand that. We’ll always try to give it a good assessment of the situation but that’s not affecting anyone at the club.
“All we are focusing on is being as good as we can on Sunday.
“Whatever happens in January will be for the good of the football club and that’s where the work is