KENNY DALGLISH has played down the significance of a second appearance on Merseyside by Liverpool FC principal owner John Henry within a week.
This time last week the American, together with chairman Tom Werner, had arrived from the United States for one of their infrequent visits and relieved director of football Damien Comolli of his duties, closely followed out of the door by head of sports science and sports medicine Peter Brukner.
The pair missed Liverpool’s FA Cup semi-final win over Everton having gone back to the US to watch the first home game of the Boston Red Sox, Fenway Sports Group’s other major sports investment.
Dalglish has spoken to Henry – who was at Melwood yesterday – on his return this week but said nothing too much should be read into that.
“We spoke to the owners, we speak to them frequently enough in the normal course of events,” said the Scot, who last week was given the full backing of FSG by Werner despite a disappointing league campaign.
“They own the club and (if) they want to speak to the people they employ they are entitled to do that.
“It doesn’t matter (where they are), if you talk to someone you talk to them. We’ve had plenty of conversations but they will remain private.
“We don’t tell everyone what we speak about and I don’t think there is any danger of us ever coming out publicly and saying what our conversations have been.
“It is our own private business and that is the way it should be.
“I don’t know what the big deal is – if you run the football club you talk to the manager, you talk to whoever you want, it is your club.
“I don’t even see why it keeps coming up. I don’t hear people asking everyone else if they have spoken to their owners this week.”
The squad returned to the club’s Melwood training ground today following a few days off after their Wembley exertions.
Despite an FA Cup final against Chelsea looming on May 5, Dalglish is confident the players will be able to focus on the league – and the improvements which have to be made – before then.